Friday, November 5

Upcycled origami bag

In my stash was bits and pieces of jeans. I had salvaged them from a bin at the fashion institiute I used to teach at in another lifetime. 
I found a pattern for an origami bag which I could hand sew and decided to use the bits of denim and make an applique and patchwork bag. 
Blanket stitch all around and a whip stitch for the parts which had to be joined. 
The pieces of denim have been appliqued onto part of the king size bed sheet which I still have pieces of .
It's a very large and roomy bag. 
I've appliqued some rust dyed circles onto the bag.
                                                   

I rediscovered sorbello stitch and couldn't stop doing rows of it as a form of embellishment all over the bag.
Will keep this bag for shopping. I need something smaller that will work like a handbag.

3 comments:

Anne G said...

Hi, for one time, I leave a comment (in english!) Why? Because, in the same moment, on my blog, also some origami bags. It's like the brush of a butterfly wing between countries and women....I like this brush between artist!

Sreekala N Nayar said...

That is a beautiful bag. I've been hoarding my sons' outgrown jeans for projects just like these. So far I've made outer covers of face masks and an apron from denim. Looking forward to sewing a bag like you have done. Thanks for the inspiration... Keep stitching!

Rachel said...

Sorbello stitch is a lovely stitch. I'm always pleased when someone rediscovers it!

ShareThis