Friday, March 5

The Traveling pages for February

Pages for February have been sent and recieved.
Carmen chose Castle as her theme and this is my interpretation. It's turned out to be a mixed media collage of sorts. Taking a picture out of a magazine and mounting it on a piece of card and then stitching it on was a first for me but I think it works.The arched window has been appliqued and embroidered with metallic thread and sequins, the mango tree is embroidery and oil pastels and so also the sky.
This is the reverse of the page for Carmen. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry. Discovered that after the page was mailed to Carmen so another picture could not be taken. I'm in love with the plastic coated silver foil and I'm going to find ways to incorporate it in all the pages I create for this swap. It's going to be my singature of sorts on all the pages I create. Last month it was used to make the pocket on the back of the page. The oil pastels is becoming another favourite.
Here's the page Mandy made for me. She chose to interpret the vibrant colours of Autumn leaves. She's used opaque seta colours for painting the background, applique and reverse applique to create the leaves and machine embroidery.
The reverse of the page has a pocket into which I've tucked the note in which Mandy wrote about the techniques she's used and for a" bit of fun" she sent me a little packet of buttons shaped like leaves and acorns. That is so thoughtful of you Mandy, I do appreciate it. I'll be using them when I make up the book of leaves at the end of this swap. Thank you.

For March I'll be creating a page for Chris whose theme is Coastline. Need to get started this weekend.
Have a good weekend everyone.

4 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

lovely mixed media piece!

ArtPropelled said...

I've been studying the top piece that you made Maya and it really appeals to me.

bigBANG studio said...

your castle is AMAZING! have you heard of the five year plan project? you might get a kick out of the artist's pages...

http://www.5yearplan.org/

your stitching is SO inspiring...makes me think about playing with some mixed media work!

(and ditto about those rad shipping container houses- there are quite a few of them out here and they are SO. COOL.)

xoxo!

Anonymous said...

Maya - What are the traveling pages? I am a quilter and I was quite fascinated by your designs. last year I dyed some of my fabric for my autumn quilt. It was fun. Malathi Ananthakrishnan (St.Hilda's)

ShareThis