Tuesday, March 20

Bison Slumber Party

The Bison or Indian Gaur are frequent visitors to our property. They visit once every ten days.
Since the beginning of this year they've taken to spending the night on the lawn.    

This was the sight that greeted me this morning at 5.45 am. Five bison - a huge male, a calf, two juveniles and the mother of the calf. The calf was born on this lawn in late January.
They must find the lawn safe and secure.
The large male we have named Bhima. He's the one sitting down and stuck on one of his horns is a dried up tea bush if you please. A very curious sight.
Bhima sits unperturbed chewing the cud. Needless to say the lilies in the garden have been decimated. Bhima's weakness. 
At this time of year the Agapanthus lilies would have begun to bloom but what I'm left with are the bulbs with some short green stubs protruding from the bulbs.    

Bhima left with his tea bush crown.
I have a love hate relationship with the bison. Majestic creatures especially Bhima who is a fantstic specimen of an adult male bison with his black body rippling with muscles and distinctive white socks, one can't can't help but admire but I hate it that they come in and ruin my garden which I have been trying to develop for the past three years.
I hope the fence we're putting up will give the plants in my garden a chance to bloom and we'll still be able to see the bison when they graze on the opposite hill.
Welaro our home is truly a place where wild things wander.

5 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is such a great post!! I first would love to see them up close in my yard, then the next second I would moan about the damage. I'm thinking there is not much you can do but enjoy them.
xx, Carol

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh no! Not the yard, the lilies, and the tea bush! Can you put up some fencing or will they walk over that? Beautiful home you have. So sorry about the bison damage it caused.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I had to come back here to see these wonderful animals again. They are not like the USA bison that I love so much, but yours are magnificent too!

kathyinozarks said...

Oh wow this is amazing I love bison-these look a bit different than the ones I saw in Yellowstone last year.
there is something about them that is just so magical I love them. I am spinning some bison roving that comes from that extra layer they shed after winter. thanks for sharing the photos Kathy

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a lovely view of life in such a different place from my own. How else but via blogging and the internet could we make such a contact? I only hope the fences work and will enjoy an update.

ShareThis