Wednesday, July 13

A Chinese Thread Book

A Chinese Thread Book or Zhen Xian Bao is an origami book made by the Miao people of China for the purpose of storing thread and needles.
I've made mine with paper like they are traditionally and I've decorated the front and back covers with paper embroidered motifs.
 The inside is simple in comparison. I wanted the clever little origami pockets to take center stage so I kept the embellishments to a minimum.  
There are seven pockets in all. I've read that they go up to as many as fifteen pockets. That's a lot of thread in someone's stash. 





The back cover.

Would you like to make a Zhen Xian Bao? I followed the instructions in this video tutorial  by Paper Kawaii to make mine. The embridered paper motifs are my own creations.

Have a great week.

3 comments:

Marta Brysha said...

How totally delightful Maya! I love doing origami and as my favourite thing is stitching this little book hits all the right buttons. Thanks for sharing.

Sandi said...

Yours is delightful with the embellishments. Thanks for sharing the link.

Stitching Lady said...

Oh yes, I would love to make and try one - thank you so much for the link.

ShareThis