Friday, February 14

A Letter A Week - ALAW 2014

You must be aware of A Letter A Week. No?
Well it was started in 2010 by calligraphic and book artist Fiona Dempster as a small project to focus on each week.

Fiona explains the project.
'The aim is simply to:
Write/create a letter a week
Creating 52 letters
Which must form 2 x alphabets (that is not 52 x the letter ‘A’)
By the end of 2014

The main rule is that the letter must be presented on a piece of material measuring 7cm x 7cm 
– this helps keep a sense of uniformity amongst the pieces which helps with exhibition 
coherence.

The other criterion for 2014 is that ONE alphabet has to meet the criteria of "Place”
- that means the alphabet references place in some in way, but is still presented on the square. 
It could mean the alphabet describes a place; is photographed in a place, reflects a place, tells a 
story of a place. It could be a special place or the place where you live or work, a place that calls 
you or that you call home…
Each alphabet must be turned into a final piece which could be used for possible publication or 
exhibition.
- that is, you must put all the letters together into a final piece of art.
you can use any medium, on any surface.
you can use any hand or representation of a letter.
The presentation of the final product is up to each of us – we could mat and frame 
the pieces as a work of art; we could make a stack of cards; we could bind them 
individually; we could bind them in a book; we could cover a box with them....'

I'm starting with the Place alphabet. I'm going to be using maps to cut out the alphabet of places where I've lived, visited and which I would love to visit. Places I've lived in or visited I'll be mounting on red paper and places I wish to visit will be mounted on purple paper.
Airline magazines are great for maps and that's where I started.
 A - Ahmedabad. City in Western India, capital of Gujarat, where I went to design school, got married and a treasure trove for all textile enthusiasts.
B - Bengaluru. Capital of the state of Karnataka. The Garden City which is today known as The Silicon valley of India. The city I reside in currently.
G - Goa. Union territory on the west coast of India a former Portuguese colony.  Feni, fish curry and susegad , wonderful holiday destination.
H - Hong Kong. I was there recently visiting family.

Check out what the other participants are creating by clicking on this link.

Happy valentine's day and have a great weekend. I'm thinking of doing some birding this weekend.
Shop update:
Some cross stitched heart motifs, perfect to embellish a crazy quilt, garment or to decorate a scrap book page have been added to my Etsy Shop.  

2 comments:

ANNE said...

Good idea!! I see the indian map with the South of Rajasthan and Gujarat!! I have visited all your site (and left 2 comments)!
And I am always editing in my blog some of my photos of the last indian voyage !

ANNE said...

Good idea!! I see the indian map with the South of Rajasthan and Gujarat!! I have visited all your site (and left 2 comments)!
And I am always editing in my blog some of my photos of the last indian voyage !

ShareThis