Friday, October 2

TAST Shisha Stitch



Shisha stitch is one of my favourites.For the sample above I couldn't find any mirrors in my stash so I decided to make do with what I could find. Beer bottle tops flattened out, a one rupee coin and a button.Shisha stitch is also used quite extensively in certain regions and communites in India. So I thought I'd include some images of Shisha stitch done on garments and samplers in my collection.
The women of the Lambani tribe uses mirror work or shisha stitch extensively on their highly embellished clothes.
Examples of shisha stitch on a sampler which Lambani women created for me. They inspired me to use other embroidery stitches around my own explorations and samples of shisha stitch. You can see more pictures of Lambani embroidery here.
I bought a beautiful skirt in Jaipur two decades ago and the picture below is of the border.

The weekend began yesterday in India this week, because October 2nd is Gandhi Jayanti.

5 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Lovely colourful post. Since writing my post on spots and circles I'm finding them everywhere. I love the way you've incorporated the modern mirrors such as coins and bottle tops.

Karen said...

I love shisha too. I used to do quite a bit of it when i was on a course years ago, very effective.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Thank you Robyn.Beer bottle tops are my current favourite.

It certainly is effective and when one uses beer bottle caps they get noticed more :) thanks for finding time to stop by and leave a comment Karen.I know you have a busy schedule.

Endy said...

..che costumi, che colori..sono bellissimi!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Endy I know bellissimi is beautiful in Italian so thank you for coming by and leaving a comment. I do appreciate it.

ShareThis