Thursday, October 8

Sea Glass

What do you get if copious quantities of beer is drunk in a tropical environment which boasts of sun, sand and a rocky shoreline? Fabulous quantities of Sea Glass.
Waves pounding rocky outcrops work a certain magic on beer bottles and turn them into sea glass and this is the perfect setting. I regret not having made my own offering of empty beer bottles to the sea and at this particular rocky outcrop in an attempt at making it a sustainable process. Putting back what I was going to take out so that those coming after me would be enchanted when they discovered sea glass. I don't think I need be overly concerned in a place like Goa where the liquor flows all year round.
You need a sandy beach like this even if its just a tiny crescent where you can go down at low tide and start the process of beach combing. Be warned this sport requires a large reservoir of patience, walking slowly and great hand and eye co-ordination because at times you have to be quick to spot the sea glass and pluck it up from the sand from amongst the pulverised sea shells, pebbles and some other undesirable stuff like plastic garbage, before the next wave rolls in.
Sea glass is like treasure for me. Two evenings on the beach above netted me a jam bottle full of the stuff. The sharp edges and the entire surface is worn smooth like a baby's bottom. The pieces are of varying opacity or translucence and no two pieces are the same shape or size. Each one unique.

This is the base of a glass which i found wedged between the slippery rocks near the rampart. The largest piece of sea glass in my collection.
Read about Freebirdsing's celebration of sea glass here.
I've only ever looked for sea glass in Goa because the conditions are perfect.
Are you a sea glass collector?
Which are your favourite beaches for gathering sea glass? in India / the world.
What do you do with the sea glass you collect? I've incorporated some tiny bits in a page in the Take it Further fibre book and I know its used for jewellery which I'm considering trying out.

For more about sea glass go here and here.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

We had a rocking time in Goa and I got lost in those gorgeous sunsets.

That sea view from the room is stunning, nicely captured.

pRiyA said...

those glass pieces remind me of those gummy bears candy. same translucent colour.
that round one is a real treasure.

OdysseySeaGlass said...

What a nice writeup on Goa!!! Wow! If you would like to share this with 500 daily sea glass fanatics, submit a photo and a blurb with a nice link back to this page. Do this by clicking our name above.

Keep up the nice informative blogging!

Linda J - By The Sea said...

If you would like to share your passion for sea glass collecting, join us at http://www.seaglasslovers.ning.com were over 2600 members in 40 countries share over 9000 photos, 100's of beach locations, display and craft ideas, shard ID help with glass experts and MUCH MORE!

Membership is free and we are a non commercial, non agenda and jewelry free site.

ArtPropelled said...

Another sea glass collector here! I found my best pieces at Melville in KwaZulu Natal. Lovely post Maya.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Yes, Thomas Goa was a blast.

Priya - Gummy bears, I wish I could find sea glass in colours like gummy bears.Maybe Bacardi breezers should be sold in bottles which match the colour of their contents,that would make for some yummy sea glass - pink and lemon...

Odyssey Sea Glass thank you for finding me and linking to this post. I do appreciate it. Shall be checking your site for tips and information.

Linda J thank you for that invitation. I wasn't aware Sea glass was such a hot hobby. Well its practically unheard of in India anyway.

Hello Robyn - Melville in Kwazulu Natal has been penciled in as one of the places I simply must visit when I make it to South Africa some day.

Julie said...

I like to collect sea glass when I go on holiday to Cornwall. You mostly get green, brown and white but occasionally tiny pieces of blue or red. I have recently used them in soft cuff bracelets that I have been making. It is wonderful to catch the sun glinting on them on the beach, just a shame they are more dull when they dry, but still pretty.

Crayons said...

This is a wonderful post that taps into my unconscious. Your description of the hunt is just right-on. And that photo brings me back to my childhood at beaches on the East coast of America. Thank you for this.

Also, it makes sense that you would love the colors. But what a surprise to find something hard and broken in your usual streamy, soft, careful, arranged work.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Julie thanks for telling me about Cornwall. I can't wait to find my first piece of red , orange or blue sea glass.Must visit your blog to catch a glimpse of those soft cuff bracelets.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Hello Caroline,glad I could have you recollect happy memories of your childhood on the East Coast of America. Actually those bits of sea glass are soft to touch and they are smooth very organic in a sense but the subtractive/abrasive process which produces these bits of sea glass has had me thinking and I'm trying to see how it can be implemented in my work. It would change my work.

Anonymous said...

Cool article as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning that matter. Thanx for posting this information.
Joan Stepsen
Cool geeks

Anne said...

Love this post-love your picture! I collect sea glass on the shores of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. My entire sun porch is filled with jars of sea glass-I'm addicted to the hunt!

anand said...

I was recently beachcombing in an island in Thailand. I took everything from pieces of coral, to glass, to broken sea shells. And i am hooked. now i want to make jewellery with it. :)

are you into fashion design? btw I am also living in Bangalore right now.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Lucky you to be beach combing in Thailand.
I'm a Textile designer.
Good luck with your jewellery project.

Unknown said...

If you rub your glass with a tiny little bit of coconut oil, it will stay translucent!

ShareThis