Friday, December 12

November - TIF

I've completed the Take it Further challenge for November. The theme was typography.

In India you need to travel from one state to another and the language changes, most have their own distinct alphabet.Most people will grow up learning Hindi ,English and the language of the state they live in .Now if you happen to be native of another state then you'll probably be speaking some other language at home and should you move to work in another part of the country you'll atleast pick up a smattering of the language in that state too! Fascinating wouldn't you say and did I mention dialects? The mind boggles.
For the page on the left I chose to look for typography of Indian languages, I got these from food packaging.I've stitched it - a la crazy quilting style onto a piece of card paper cut out from a cereal box.The top looks kind of bare and is calling out for something with a bit of punch and colour. I'm hoping I'll get lucky in a day or two when I go grocery shopping.

This is the little sampler embroidered on the page on the right. Its all of 4 inches x 6 inches.

I'd hoped to be efficient and have the challenge completed by the end of the year but life in general does have other plans as we all know. So, the challenge for December will be tackled in January and The Take it Further book will be completed early in 2009 and featured right here. I hope you'll keep visiting though.

I'm going to be putting up our Christmas tree this weekend, very exciting considering its done every alternate year and I have some new ornaments to put on the tree. Have a great weekend.

10 comments:

Guzzisue said...

so good, love the interpretation and looking forward to seeing the completed book. \the sampler idea never occured to me and I like the use of the different written languages on the page. well done

Paula Hewitt said...

well done. I hadn't realised there were so many different languages and alphabets in India - it very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How different! Thanks for the cultural lesson, too.

bindu said...

Very intricate work! Your banner piece is beautiful.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Thank-you ladies.

Gina E. said...

Hi Maya,
Thank you for commenting on my blog - I always post photos of any embroidery that is sent to me, and I was delighted with the ATC you sent me. I am blown away with all the stitching you do!! I adore that tiny little sampler - all that work on such a small piece of fabric! I've gotten behind with TAST too, but hope to catch up in the next week or so. I'm not even attempting some of the more difficult stitches so it won't take me long to catch up with the easy ones, LOL!

ArtPropelled said...

It's quite amazing how you continue to stitch such perfect little stitches. (How does it effect your eyesight?) I love the contemporary slant to your piece with the addition of food packaging.

Anonymous said...

very intersting work.

india flint said...

your fingers must absolutely fly...i remember struggling for an entire school year in the sixties with my alphabet sampler.
and as to Indian texts...the writing is visually so beautiful that it's very tempting for a foreigner to copy script for its pattern...and then [just like some inappropriately borrowed kanji tattoos] finish up with a potentially gorgeous work that lets itself down by pronouncing something like "get your dog de-fleaed here"
somebody somewhere [i forget who] made a fantastic garment from food packaging all stitched together...

jude said...

a really thoughtful sharing through stitch

ShareThis